HUB APPOINTMENTS - EXTENDED ACCESS APPOINTMENTS
Longton Health Centre for the purpose of Extended Access Appointments outside of normal working hours is working with ISSA Medical Centre in Preston
If you need a GP appointment outside of usual times please ring NHS111. If NHS 111 after triage signpost you to an available GP appointment this will be at ISSA in Preston. If no appointments are available NHS 111 will direct you to an alternative service. To note also Longton Health Centre do hold a number of pre booked Nurse and GP appointments on a Saturday morning
HOW DO I ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT?
We have a GP Clinical assessment service. The reception team will care-navigate your call and will arrange either a face to face or telephone clinical assessment or direct you to another appropriate service.
WHAT WILL THE RECEPTIONIST ASK ME WHEN I ASK FOR AN APPOINTMENT?
The reception team are there to handle your request in the most appropriate manner. In order to do this they will ask for:
- Your Name
- Verification of your address and contact number, email address, making any changes if necessary and asking if you would like to opt in or out of receiving text message reminders if you have given us a mobile telephone number
- The nature of your call or request
- Arrange either a face to face or telephone clinical assessment for you or direct your call if appropriate to another local service or member of the healthcare or practice team
IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO INFORM THE RECEPTIONIST OF THE NATURE OF YOUR CALL SIMPLY INFORM THEM IT IS PERSONAL OR ALTERNATIVELY COMPLETE A PRIVACY SLIP AVAILABLE ON RECEPTION
WHY DOES THE RECEPTIONIST ASK YOU DETAILS OF YOUR CALL?
- The CLINICIANS would like to know a little about why you are calling before they return your call or see you face to face. This is in order that they can look at appropriate information from your health record OR it maybe that a face to face or telephone assessment is not actually required for example, if you need an ongoing sick note – the Reception team can help you order this without the need for a GP appointment
- Whilst the majority of the time we are able to accommodate your request for a GP face to face or telephone assessment sometimes this may not be offered at a time of day convenient to you or your GP of choice may not be available.
- The Practice offers a number of services run by other clinicians and also has an administration team trained in dealing with day to day enquiries.
- We have found that patients are often not aware of other services which may be better suited to their needs which are available to them locally or held within our practice and that a face to face or telephone clinical assessment with a GP may not always be necessary.
WHY YOU MIGHT NOT NEED TO SEE A GP FACE TO FACE?
To Discuss Hospital letters
Certain Prescription requests
Symptoms that require general advice
Certain fit note requests
Certain referral requests if you have seen a clinician
If you are making an appointment for a cervical smear or for family planning advice, it is always helpful if you tell the receptionist so that the relevant forms can be prepared in advance of your appointment so please let the receptionist know when you make your appointment, so that they can allocate extra time. This will help avoid delays to other patients.
Please remember that one appointment slot is for one patient only so please note that if you ring to rearrange your appointment or cancel your appointment then this appointment will be allocated to another patient. Please do not assume that this appointment can be swapped directly to another family member, friend or neighbour.
Please let the Reception team know if you have more than one problem which you wish to discuss, this is so we can arrange for you to have the most appropriate time available in order to avoid you having to come back for another appointment which can be frustrating for patients
Feedback cards are placed in reception for your comments.
You can also give us your feedback on the comments and suggestions link on our website.